Monday, February 7, 2011

Late New Year Resolution / Suspending Concept

my late New Years Resolution is to make an image every week of this year.

It's been almost two years since I graduated and I've been very unhappy with the amount of images i've been completing. It's been a challenge for me to find motivation within myself over this past year and a half. It's been a difficult adjustment, though in a big way, I suppose finding self-motivation is the most important adjustment any person could make. In the end, you need to do what you do - for yourself.

My first assignment of this project was to suspend the idea of concept. It was a little strange for me. The was not even any preliminary sketching done. I just jumped right into the painting. Again there is NO concept, or even any preliminary work whatsoever behind this image.

I still don't know how I feel about it. It was definitely the hardest time I've ever had being excited about an image. Anyway, this was mainly an exercise in having less dependence on concept, and - ah, who am I kidding! It's god damn retarded looking. HA! Guess i'll continue to depend on concepts!


2 comments:

  1. 52 weeks in a year...I'll be watching haha. Good Luck man. Keep the passion alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! it's gonna be hard. but people who greet huge undertakings never come out on bottom. the formula for success is simple in any discipline - it's just having the right attitude that's hard.

    remember when Joe Devito used to tell us 'the only difference between you and people doing what you what to do is that they've started doing it'? Genius.

    ReplyDelete